We all know that digital marketing is the promotion and marketing through digital mediums and is based on the approach of pull marketing instead of push marketing. This field has many areas that an individual can do, but some of the special areas of digital marketing include SEO, SMM, SEM, Email marketing career, content marketing career, analytics career, etc.
There is a huge scope of digital marketing, but first one must have basic knowledge of all the avenues and parts even though you want to choose one area as a digital marketing specialization. If you do the digital marketing course you will be able to learn all the verticals and tools of digital marketing which will help you in getting good job opportunities & future for you. At Quibus, we also provide a digital marketing course in Jaipur with placement assistance. You can enroll in our upcoming batch.
In this article, we will guide you about different areas of digital marketing specialization that you can do in 2024 to switch or upgrade your career to the next level. This article will help you find the right field for you to begin your career in digital marketing.
Digital Marketing Specialization Areas
Below we have shared a list of the major specialization areas of digital marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization | (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing | (SMM)
- Search Engine Marketing | (SEM)
- Email Marketing Career
- Content Marketing Career
- Analytics Career
- Mobile Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Influencer & Affiliate Marketing
I hope you get an idea about different major specialization areas in digital marketing from the above list. So, let’s jump into the depth of each specialization area of the digital marketing field to know the exact now how about it.
#1 Search Engine Optimization | (SEO)
SEO stands for search engine optimization, and its primary function is to increase the organic traffic of a website or a particular webpage. An effectively implemented SEO will help boost the rank of your page at the top of the search results (SERPs).
Things you must know about SEO Career.
- The SEO result takes time and requires a lot of content research, but it is difficult for the other competitors to get their way in once your page is ranked.
- SEO result mainly depends upon intent and the quality of content created matching the intention. No SEO expert can rank garbage or irrelevant content in SERPs in search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
- You would be required to keep an eye constantly to maintain the rank of a web page and be in sync with the updates by the search engine(google).
You Must Read Our Blog on SEO as a Career Option in India
What is Expected at Beginners Level:
- An SEO person also requires some technical knowledge as this profile deals with the technicalities of a website, such as website architecture, errors & user experience, etc.
- You must have patience as it’s time taking and a quick learner to implement changes and updates.
- You don’t need excellent communication skills but must have significant research and an analytical mind.
Why choose SEO as a Digital Marketing Specialization?
- There is a lot of demand for SEO services. Hence there are many job opportunities.
- Decent pay at the entry or fresher level and a 60-80% hike after a year or two.
- SEO job profile has a lot of respect as it is not a piece of cake.
- Not easily replaceable, meaning once you have acquired a position and handled many projects in any company, no one can dare to take your job.
- Challenging but interesting as it requires you to think of different ways and solutions to beat your competitors.
- After some time and experience, you can work freelance as an SEO auditor or strategist.
#2 Social Media Marketing | (SMM)
Social Media Marketing is another booming area of Digital Marketing Specialization. Everybody knows about it, and it is a favorite career among millennials or anyone who spends their day or night on social media.
But social media, when used for marketing by enterprises, is more than what many people think. SMM aims at increasing the traffic to the website and also consumer engagement.
Companies that use different social platforms have a few goals in mind:
- Improve communication with users
- Increase brand visibility
- Reach more (potential) customers.
- Having a social media presence also increases the credibility of the company.
Pros and Cons of an SMM Career
- You get to interact with consumers in real time, which can be tricky in some situations when you are addressing some users’ concerns.
- You can analyze consumer behavior and target your ideal consumers by studying their activities and creating content accordingly.
- It gives you the flexibility to work from anywhere. Still, you must also be available 24*7 to keep an eye on consumers’ activity on the company’s page and update posts.
Check out the interview of some social media managers, telling what they love and hate about being in this field.
What is expected?
- Great communication skills
- Creative Bend of Mind
- Able to handle, and address user queries and concerns on time
- Keep up with the trend
- Can think out of the box because the more you bring creative solutions, the better will be the impact.
Why choose SMM as a digital Marketing Specialization?
- The first thing is you get to work on social media, and your work is creative
- You get to handle the company’s brand image even at the beginner’s level.
- The flexibility of the workplace and working hours.
#3 Search Engine Marketing | (SEM)
Search engine marketing, is different from SEO, but many people still confuse it with SEO. However, SEM used to cover SEO and paid search, but over the period, now SEM refers to PPC or paid search only.
Wikipedia defines SEM as,
‘Search engine marketing (SEM) is a form of Internet marketing that involves the promotion of websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) primarily through paid advertising. SEM may incorporate search engine optimization (SEO), which adjusts or rewrites website content and architecture to achieve a higher ranking in search engine results pages to enhance pay per click (PPC) listings’.
It is an expensive method as compared to SEO but gives results immediately.
Pros and Cons of an SEM Career
- You don’t get the responsibility to handle paid campaigns of a client; It is a risky job as it involves direct money, so you would work under somebody for some time before you get the expertise.
- You work in a dynamic field in close contact with the creative team.
What is expected at the beginners level:
- Need to gain an industry-recognized certificate(e.g., Google)
- Must have an understanding of ideal consumers and their behavior
- Knowledge of tools
- Good keyword knowledge and research skills
Why choose SEM as a Digital marketing specialization?
- You like challenges
- You want to work with your creativity and analytical skills
#4 Email Marketing Career
Email marketing engages, retains, and eventually converts the ideal consumers via mail. Even with the advent of so many platforms, email marketing is still powerful with high ROI.
Pros and Cons of Having an Email Marketing Career
- Consistency is required; you would have to pre-plan in advance.
- A chance to grow your connections with corporate houses.
- Tricky if you are new and not sure how to do it?
- No matter how good your content is, there will always be the pressure of sales or conversions.
What is expected at the beginner’s level:
- Strong language skills and understanding of brevity mean being able to convey the message with the least words.
- Must be aware of the lead-capturing cycle.
- Technical knowledge of the tools.
- Know how to design email for different platforms.
- Content development.
- Analytical skills can understand reports and figures.
Why choose Email marketing as an area of digital marketing specialization?
- It’s a profound/ vast field in itself
- Part of digital salespeople are preferred in the companies that can do it
- Great pay scale after some experience
#5 Content Marketing Career
Content marketing aims to create the user’s interest and eventually convert the leads or potential consumers by sharing relevant and valuable content with them consistently. There could be various formats of content like e-books, blogs, videos, emails, podcasts, and many more in digital marketing.
Pros and Cons of a Content Marketing Career
- It requires high creativity and out-of-the-box thinking, which is fun but also challenging at the same time.
- Developing content that is relevant and useful sometimes becomes tricky
- Can create Content funnels, therefore, should have a deeper understanding of marketing and target consumers.
- Need to be good at keyword research. Consequently, you cannot sideline technical SEO and digital marketing; hence creativity or creative writing is not enough.
- Researching then, planning, and scheduling the content is done in advance, giving flexibility.
What is expected at the beginner’s level:
- Great communication and language skills
- Creative and analytical mind
- You must have an understanding of the keywords
- Understanding of buyer’s persona and behavior
- Understanding of platform-oriented content development
- People with an MBA background will be preferred or have experience in marketing communication
Why choose Content Marketing as a Specialization in Digital Marketing?
- If you like brainstorming new ideas
- You enjoy researching, planning, and strategizing
- You like writing and creative work
- Great pay scale even at the beginner level
#6 Analytics Career
An analytics specialist’s role includes gathering data and evaluating it to find out the marketing performance data from customer feedback, reviews, & product sales. Also, they track the latest data trends, test that data for improvement & validity. Moreover, analytics specialists interpret webpage data to determine where things can be improved & take action accordingly.
Pros and Cons of an Analytics Career
- Pros: This is a great job profile. The incorporation process requires a substantial amount of research into entities, including their type of business and location. A company’s credit rating depends on the study and the correct structuring of its subsidiaries. It is, therefore, an important profile.
- Cons: Researching a lesser-known entity can be very tedious at times. Additionally, there are many data quality issues that lead to excessive overtime.
What is expected at the beginner position:
- Good analytical Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Good Understanding of Excel Tool
- Creating Data Visualization
- Presentation Skills
- Data Cleaning
- Basic understanding of programming languages
Why choose Analytics Career as a Specialization in Digital Marketing?
- If you like to solve critical data Issues
- If you’re good at data visualization & presentation
- This field will provide you with various opportunities to work on different projects and in industries
- PayScale for this job role is fair enough in the market
#7 Mobile Marketing
Did you know that around 27% of folks are now talking to their phones to search for things? Phones are becoming our go-to for many tasks, including shopping.
For companies wanting to stay close to their customers, being on phones is a must-do. It’s like moving your advertising from big computer screens to smaller phone ones. And if you’re focusing on trying to connect with the young people, this move is even more important.
- Everyone’s always on their phones, so it’s a definite way to get noticed.
- You can show ads to people in specific places or groups.
- Those tiny phone screens mean your ads need to be super catchy.
- People don’t seem to tap on phone ads as often as on bigger screens.
- To be honest, nobody likes ads popping up when they’re chatting or doing something else on their phone.
#8 Video Marketing
In today’s fast-paced environment, attention-grabbing videos often outshine traditional written content. Whether conveying information or providing entertainment, online videos are rapidly becoming the preferred choice for many. Think about it: YouTube alone sees a whopping 2 billion pairs of eyes every month! That’s a goldmine for businesses wanting to connect with folks. And guess what? Many people scout for video reviews before spending money on products.
- Videos pull our attention quickly, making messages stick.
- Face it, videos stay in our heads longer than mere words or snapshots.
- Big players like Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn are rolling out the red carpet for videos, giving them prime spots.
- Keeping folks hooked on videos isn’t easy.
- Crafting top-notch videos requires time, money, and creativity.
#9 Inluencer & Affiliate Marketing
Partnering with influencers or affiliates can significantly boost your business, enabling you to reach more people by tapping into their dedicated followers. When looking to collaborate, choose an individual with a strong reputation in your industry. They’ll spotlight your product and direct people to your website, earning a commission for every sale or visit they drive.
- This approach lets you tap into a wider audience without the usual time and effort of building one yourself.
- Partnering with a recognized figure can attract genuine interest and potential customers to your brand.
- It’s not just about spending money; finding the right influencer who aligns with your brand and working effectively together is key.
- With some growing doubt towards influencers, being transparent about compensation for endorsements is essential.
So this was the article to clarify why and what to choose as a specialization in digital marketing. We have also shared some cool benefits of digital marketing career, which you must check out!
This must also have given clarity on what to expect at the beginners’ level and where are you heading after gaining some experience.
Stay tuned for such informative and insightful posts on digital marketing.
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q1. What is digital marketing Specialization?
Ans. Specializations such as this one examine several aspects of the new digital marketing environment, including digital marketing analytics, search engine optimization, search engine marketing, email marketing, and social media marketing.
Q2. What are the different fields of digital marketing?
Ans. There are various work opportunities in the field of digital marketing such as:
(SEO) Search Engine Optimization, (PPC) Pay-per-Click, (SMM) Social Media Marketing, Mobile Marketing, Email Marketing, Marketing Analytics, Content Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, etc.
Q3. How many areas are there in digital marketing?
Ans. In the past few years, digital marketing has expanded into many disciplines. Digital marketing is no different. Just like there are numerous specializations in engineering, such as mechanical, civil, electrical, etc., so too do there exist various specializations in digital marketing, such as SEM, social media, mobile marketing, SEO, and web analytics.
Q4. What Skills Are Needed in Digital Marketing?
Ans. To do well in marketing, it’s important to be good at talking to people about a company or product. You also need to know how to look at data to see how well your marketing is doing and figure out how to make it better. Being good at using social media is also really important.
Q5. How Can You Become a Digital Marketer?
Ans. People who work in digital marketing should be good at writing and using social media. It’s important to understand data analytics too. Most digital marketing jobs need at least a bachelor’s degree. Taking digital marketing courses or joining a digital “boot camp” can help. Doing an internship while in school is also a good idea. While a master’s degree in digital marketing can be helpful, it’s not necessary.
Q6. What role does social media marketing play in the areas of digital marketing?
Ans. Social media marketing involves promoting products or services on social media platforms to build brand awareness, engage with the audience, and drive traffic to the website.